Beth Chaverim is led by Rabbi Jodi Kornfeld. As the leader of Beth Chaverim, Jodi is committed to leading by ethical and moral example, listening to the voice of the community and displaying compassion and sensitivity to the community’s needs. As an effective communicator, Rabbi Jodi has a wonderful capacity for instilling a deep knowledge of Judaism, making the knowledge relevant for the community, and fostering a sense of togetherness through communal learning and celebration.
Rabbi Jodi’s experience includes directing a Humanistic Jewish school, teaching religious school, publishing articles on Jewish educational subjects, and presenting at local educational conferences as well as coordinating a national conference for Humanistic Jewish educators.
- Ordained by the International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism, October 2009
- Doctoral candidate at Spertus College
- Master’s degree in Jewish Studies from Spertus College, 2003
- Deerfield resident for over 25 years
- Available to perform life cycle ceremonies including weddings, baby namings and funerals for non-members, as well as members
Rabbi Kornfeld was the guest columnist for the Chicago Jewish News Torah Column, commenting about the Torah portion, Kedoshim on May 2, 2008.
Below is a short video of Rabbi Kornfeld describing Humanistic Judaism:
Visit here to read her column.
Read Rabbi Kornfeld’s 2012 Rosh Hashanah Sermon.